Monday, June 20, 2011

The Minister's Tree House

On our way to Manchester, Tennessee to attend Bonnaroo, Julia and I stopped in Crossville. It is about two hours outside of Manchester and the stop really adds no more driving time then getting off the highway and using the bathroom (which of course I had to do anyway). The reason for this stop was simple: visit "The Minister's Tree House." I found this gem online at the following address: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/13769.

I have always loved the thought of stopping at a random road side attraction on an epic road trip. It always seemed fun, spontaneous, and hilarious. There is this episode of Boy Meets World where Eric and Cory are on a road trip and they stop at "The World's Largest Yogurt Cup" and since then I have had the deepest desire to not only see said yogurt cup (which I am not sure exists), but to also extend a road trip to see my own road side attraction. Now some road side attractions listed on this web site are just lame in my opinion. Take for instance my hometown which has this one: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/18430. Also known as "Huge Doctor's Bag with Stethoscope." Okay, I am sorry, but this is so lame. I pass it everyday which may add to its lameness for me, but still. Why is it even there? I have no idea, but if you are passing through the great first state, please do not get off 95 to see this "attraction" because chances are you will be utterly disappointed and further complain about how pointless and boring Delaware is. I suggest you get off at the Christiana Mall instead. I am assuming that will make you more happy. Or just make sure you pick something that will give Delaware some credit (we need all the help we can get) and stop at "The Rest Stop of the Future." http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/25658. I have not been there, but it sure looks sweet. I may just have to go to check it out, so I could actually recommend it to you honestly.

Anyways that was a longest tangent ever basically to highlight the point that some road side attractions are better than others. And in Crossville, Tennessee I believe lies one of the best. It is in fact so cool that I proceeded to convince multiple Bonnaroo goers that they must stop there on their way out of the state no matter which direction they had to go.

Landscaper Horace Burgess bought some land, found some inspiration in a large tree, and decided that he was going to build the world's largest tree house. He soon ran out of materials and the project began to take a toll on him. But then "he turned his life to God." And God spoke to him in something like a vision saying, "If you build Me a tree house, I'll never let you run out of material." With that, Horace was rejuvenated and eleven years later, he had built a tree house that met his goal. According to the web site this is "the largest tree house in the world. It spreads across not one, but seven big trees that grow through its floors and out of its windows. It soars 100 feet into the sky. Built without blueprints, its dimensions are a mystery even to Horace, who guesses that it covers around 10,000 square feet."

I won't describe this amazing piece of work because luckily for you I made some videos. Of course, these videos are downright terrible in terms of quality and do not do the tree house justice in terms of size and shear epicness, but I think the videos are better than my words. I also would like to apologize for the commentary in the videos. At times it is sarcastic, vulgar, and downright offensive, but I was excited, if you cannot tell. Again, I am sorry. My sense of humor is a particular brand. And I just want to say as a disclaimer that there is nothing wrong with being religious and I do not mean to poke fun at anyone's. In fact, if you know me well, you know that no matter where I go in a new city or new town or even in my own town, I always visit some kind of place of worship. In London, I went to St. Paul's and listened to the morning prayer. In Rome, I went to St. Peter's and actually touched the Pope (no that is not a joke, it happened). In Jordan, Morocco, and Egypt I went to countless mosques as part of my studies on Islam. I have visited and participated in Buddhist chanting session here in Delaware. Religion intrigues me. And even as a "non believer" as Julia calls me in the video and a self proclaimed atheist, I think religion is often beautiful, always powerful in a variety of ways, and at times I wish I had one. Although I do not have a religion, I like to think that I am extremely faithful and with that I know that I am okay without a religion. I have faith in me, I have faith in people, and I have faith in nature. And that is all I need. I do realize that many of you are probably posing the ever present "what is nature?" question, but that is a post for another time. I will say that my version of nature is my own. I am hoping you have your own too. And I hope that it IS different from mine.

So let's look at Mr. Horace's version of faith via my recordings:



Part 1


Part 2

Part3


Top

Oh the power of faith. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment